Thursday, October 23, 2008

A birthday is coming!

The boys turn two in December. Confession time ... I don't think I'm going to do a party this year. I didn't do one last year, and I just don't see doing one this year.

I mean, really -- do you remember your second birthday party? No? Thanks for proving my point.

We'll still have a cake, presents, take pictures, and invite family, but I don't see us doing a whole 2nd birthday shing-ding with games, goody bags, and a million kids running around the house. I figure this is the last time we can get away with not having a party, so I'm going to milk it while I can.

I think part of this is that I'm just not a birthday person -- never have been, probably never will be. I trying very hard to change this attitude for the boys, and those who know me know that I will be in full birthday party planner mode come next year when they turn three and will have a clue about birthdays and such. But this year ... why stress myself out?

So, we are about 45 days out (but who's counting?), and I am trying to decide on a birthday theme, mostly so I can start looking at cake options!

Last year for their first birthday, we did a baby Einstein caterpillar cake -- it was great because it was one big cake made up of 5 individual cakes, so each boy got their own individual "body" cake. The boys loved it and it was good cake, but I learned that this year I may want to choose a cake without so much colored frosting on it. Check out the carnage from last year:


So, I'm looking for ideas for cakes! Right now I'm leaning towards a choo-choo train with different cars so each boy can have their own "cake" again?

1 comment:

My name is Lauren said...

Oh, honey. Why, oh why, did you do that with the colored frosting? lol
Last year, the kids had their own "smash cakes" (with white frosting) and we had a separate cake for the guests.
This year, I did ice cream cone cupcakes. Quick, easy and practically mess-free.

I love the train idea! Just make it a white one. ;)