Friday, December 12, 2008

Two Year Wellness Check-Up

We have our two year check-up today at the pediatrician. It's is smack in the middle of nap time, so it should be a fun, fun, FUN appointment!

We are scheduled for only two shots, but one is the BIG ONE ... Hep A and MMR.

However, the boys have been snotty since Halloween, so I may not do the MMR.

I really don't want to get into the whole vaccine controversy other then to say that I do plan on giving the boys all the vaccinations, but I am doing it on a schedule that is slightly off from the AMA schedule with my pediatrician's support and blessing. I have done a ton of research on vaccinations to come to that conclusion.

Here's my thing:
1) If you don't want to decide for yourself about vaccinations, just do what your doctor recommends.
2) If you do want to decide for yourself, then actually think about it for yourself. Inform yourself about the diseases and the vaccines and make a reasoned decision. Don't just go along with what you heard somewhere or what someone else is doing.

My husband feels a little stronger about vaccinations since it is his business ... literally. To his credit, there is evidence of the return of long-eradicated diseases, like measles. According to CDC, at least 131 cases have been reported so far this year, the most in twelve years and officials cite parents' refusal to vaccinate children as the leading cause for the jump. Most of the cases of measles are in children who were not vaccinated or were too young to be vaccinated. There have also been outbreaks of other childhood viral diseases, such as polio, and mumps, in recent years.

So, I'll update you tomorrow on whether we do the MMR or not. I'll also give some stats on wieght, height, etc!

Peace Out!

1 comment:

Nicole O'Dell said...

I hope you have an easy time at the appt!