Thursday, December 10, 2009

No Such Thing as Coincidence

Many thanks to all of you that are patiently awaiting Birthday Party pictures. I am still in the process of gathering them from the many people who were so awesome to help take pictures of our fun event! That post will be coming soon ... I promise!

In the mean time, on the boys actual birthday, we had our first big snowfall of the year. My normal 15-20 minute commute to work turned into a 2.5 hour nightmare.

But, the whole time I was smiling and even giddy. Why? Three years ago, the day the boys were born was our first big snowfall of the year.

Maybe it was a coincidence, but I'd like to think differently. I had plenty of time to reflect on the miracles my boys are while I sat in traffic that morning.

It was an unexpected delivery to say the least. After having a PPROM with Noel at 24 weeks, but then managing to stabilize and hang in there through the haze of magnesium sulfate, I was suddenly diagnosed with asymptomatic HELLP Syndrome at 29 weeks. I was told they were going to deliver me the next day when they could fit me in. They didn't seem that concerned, and honestly I was in zen mode. I was more stressed about quickly deciding on names than I was delivering 11 weeks early.

Dan stayed with me in the hospital that night, and thank goodness he made that choice. At 5am on December 7th, 2006 I woke up in a pool of blood. The nurses came in and the flurry of activity began -- I was going down NOW for an emergency c-section.

I don't remember much, but I do remember in the surgery room as they bent me over for my epidural, I could look out the window and see that it was snowing ... the first snowfall of the year. I remember turning to Dan when he walked in to make sure that he saw that it was snowing, too. He nodded, and we both silently knew that we had finally decided on names -- Hayden, Tanner, & Noel.

Hayden, the name I had secretly thought of since childhood and that Dan thought was strong and deserving ... Tanner, the name Dan had suddenly thought of at 28 weeks and that we both loved ... and Noel, the name we both felt in our hearts that snowy morning.

Of course, Dan had known it was snowing long before I saw it in the surgery room. The calls went out as I was being whisked away and the grandparents started their journey to the hospital, only to be caught in the snarled traffic that exists in Cincinnati when there is even a threat of a snowflake falling. My Mom was caught in the worst of it on the way to hospital -- morning rush hour traffic during a snowstorm!

As I sat in my car this year, I could only imagine what my Mom was feeling as she sat helplessly in a sea of brake lights as far as she could see. Unfortunately, my Mom did not make it to the hospital in time for the birth of the boys, but she was there to meet me in all my drugged out glory in the recovery room where I was bashing pregnant women who smoke and giving shouts out to myself for being a "bumper" (the term the nurses called me since my emergency c-section bumped the elective c-section scheduled).

My boys loved the snowfall this year ...


It's a long way from how they spent their first snowfall ...

Noel Austin ... 2 pounds, 11.5 ounces


Tanner Allen ... 2 pounds, 15 ounces


Hayden Miller ... 3 pounds, 3 ounces

No comments: